The first Kooringal Members were enthusiastic pioneers, many new to the game of golf.
Because of wartime shortages, they had no machines to work with, but brought their picks, shovels, hoes and hand mowers to establish the first nine holes.
The Club was inaugurated at a Public Meeting at the Williamstown Town Hall on September 27, 1946, as the Williamstown Golf Club, changing its name to Kooringal in 1958, when Altona became a separate Municipality. By 1952 the full 18 holes were in play.
Kooringal’s first Clubhouse was a 50-year-old former canteen building purchased from the Naval Dockyards in Williamstown and relocated at the Course in 1947. Over a period of years, many improvements and additions were made to the building, which served the Club well until it was replaced by a new state of the art Clubhouse in 1996.
- Established as the Williamstown Golf Club 1946/47.
- Name changed in the mid to late fifties with the emergence of the then Shire of Altona which later became the City of Altona. How was the name Kooringal chosen? It is an aboriginal word meaning “by the water”.
- No name change may have occurred if a crystal ball had been used back in the mid to late fifties, as the current council is known as the Hobsons Bay City Council, which covers both Altona and Williamstown (due to Municipal rationalisation in the nineties).
- The Club used a disused canteen building transported from the Naval Dockyard in Williamstown in the very early years following its formation.
- During the years that followed, many alterations and additions were made to the clubhouse.
- In the early nineties, Architects – Richard Mabin & Associates were engaged to provide the Club with a concept plan for a new building.
- A decision taken by the Committee of the day to proceed with a new building proposal was then taken to the members for endorsement.
- Building plans were submitted and approved and the first stages of development commenced in early 1996 and were completed in October.
- In the early 2000s, Craig Parry Golf Design made some enhancements to the course, primarily to address some safety issues
- In 2016 the old stand alone Pro Shop building was abandoned and a new state-of-the-art facility was added to the Clubhouse, inclusive of a retail area and golf simulators.
- In 2022 the Club appointed Crafter Mogford Course Architects to develop a Course Enhancement Plan for the future.
- In 2022 the Club celebrated its 75th Anniversary with a gala dinner and golf events.